Thursday 6 February 2014

Preserved lemon recipe, Firewood, Potatoes and Dogs

Hello Folks!
I have been  having problems with Google over the last couple of days. YD has helped me (again)and  even had to re-install it at one time. I have struggled to perform some functions (?!) but I think all is well now. If I have deleted you or not answered you, I apologise, but I am now back to "normal".
I offered my recipe for Preserved lemons. Weaver says that Tesco often have unwaxed lemons( as do Lidl) so here is my recipe -   PRESERVED LEMONS -
Ingredients
To each 500ml jar -
10 unwaxed Lemons
Salt
3 bay leaves
20 Whole Peppercorns
1 tablesspoon Coriander seeds
half a dozen cloves
Method
 Cut 5 lemons into 8 lengthways and remove the pips
Squeeze the other lemons and reserve the juice.
 In a sterilised jar -
Layer the lemons with the spices and salt (about a tablespoon of salt per layer) until there is about an inch of space at the top of the jar.
Push a couple of bay leaves down the side of the jar
Fill the jar with the lemon juice
Keep for at least a month under the stairs. ( I am using lemons 3 years after preserving them)

Had a bit of a baking day yesterday. It started because a friend had done a spot of welding for us and asked for a carrot cake as payment! Apart from 2 carrot cakes I made a tray of Christmas pudding slice with a spare Christmas pudding we were given, two cheese, potato and bacon pies, a couple of quiche cases and an apple sponge pudding.
We have now acquired most of the seeds we need for this year. Just have to get our potato seed now. For the last couple of years we have been planting Sarpo potatoes. These are suppose to be blight-resistant and this has been our experience so far. here is a photograph I took in 2012 when we had a bad blight year.To the fore you can see  Pentland ? potatoes affected by blight and to the rear are the Sarpo Miras, not affected.
  I still haven't finished my mending pile. I think D. is deliberately throwing himself at nails and tugging at buttons!
 Yesterday I mended three sweat tops, replaced several buttons, sewed up several seams and inserted a (reclaimed) zip. One more zip to go and the pile is finished.
I have undone the slippers I was knitting as they were clearly not going to be big enough. I shall have to start again.
We are still researching log burners to replace the open fire. we are not into much of a rush as we estimate that we will need a good couple of weeks to do the job, because we have to remodel the fireplace and insert the back boiler. We cannot be without the fire in the winter so will not start to replace until the spring at the earliest.
Ken at "An English Homestead" is researching planting trees for fuel. We have a row of willows we planted a few years ago. They make good burning, as well as basketry, garden structures and animal food. With the price of electricity and gas going up and up we have decided that we will grow more willows. I cut some whips last back end and I will be pushing these in as soon as the ground dries up a bit (not too dry) I also have some Ash whips to plant, which, as you know, burns green as well as brown.
Here is most of my current willow row.
One final picture.
 I thought you might like to see the dogs in our life. We no longer have a dog, but we don't really need one as one or another of the owners of these fine fellows are at our house most days.
The bigger black lab Jed, belongs to our elder daughter.
 The smaller black Lab Sam, belongs to our younger daughter.
The yellow Lab Coda, belongs to our eldest granddaughter and
The Springer Spaniel Rufus, belongs to our Goddaughter.

Back Soon with another random blog dear frugellers
Gillx


17 comments:

  1. many thanks for the lemon recipe, now about that Christmas Pudding Slice, it sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make it every year, because every year I am given more than one pudding!
      "recipe" on next post.
      Gillx

      Delete
  2. I'm sure your recipe is lovely but I'm sorry I only have eyes for those dogs. That is a gorgeous picture of them all sitting there x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was taken on Christmas day when the young 'uns went out for a walk. The dogs know each other and get on really well.
      Gill

      Delete
  3. OOH what gorgeous dogs, I do enjoy seeing other peoples dogs and this little gang are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butter wouldn't melt would it?!
      The two black labs are both 10 -11 years old and other two are both just under 2 and they all get along famously.
      Gill

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the recipe. Now all I have to do is remember to order the unwaxed lemons on my Tesco on line order next week and I shall have a go.
    Lovely to see those dogs after seeing some awful puppy farms on the news earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, awful places aren't they? The smaller black lab is a rescue dog. My daughter works in her spare time with a lab rescue charity and there are so many dogs needing good homes without puppy farmers breeding more and more, with no regard for their welfare before or after they sell them
      Gill

      Delete
  5. Cheese potato and bacon pie.....yum yum! I have carrot cakes on my list for the next coffee morning bake up. Dogs look gorgeous!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it about carrot cakes? People love them. They are always very popular at our Civic Society "Dos"
      Me? I'm a good moist Date and Walnut sort of girl!
      Gill

      Delete
  6. Lovely dogs ! well done on getting them all to sit nicely for their group photograph. I struggle just to get a photo of Jake keeping still :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't take the pic, but studying it, I reckon each dog has been told to sit by their owner, as they are all looking in different directions!
      I shall ask YD and see if she 'fesses up
      Gill

      Delete
    2. We ran them ragged for 1/2 an hour before we tried to make them all sit together. No food or bribes were used either!

      Delete
  7. Sorry to be more than a a bit dim, but what do you use preserved lemons for?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I preserved them especially to use in Tagines and lamb dishes. They are mostly used in Moroccan and African dishes. I remember they were selling them very cheap at Lidl and I bought loads and made lemon curd and preserved lemons.
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheers for putting the picture up of the Willow. I think I've managed to source some hybrid willow cuttings for nearly free and then I'm going to buy some other varieties to mix in with it. I can't wait to get started with it - trouble is I've got a lot of fencing to do before it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you have found a source for your willows. I have put a list of the willows we planted on saturday's blog.
    There is always a list of jobs to be done before you can do the jobs you really want to do isn't there?
    Gill

    ReplyDelete